Links to other genealogy related pages.
The links with a dark blue graphic shaped like Monroe County are on this website.
GenWeb of Monroe Co., NY homepage.
Rochester Genealogical Society homepage.
Dick's Genealogy & History Corner is a blog with local aids and opinions.
Rochester Regional links
- Vital Records
- Assorted Vital Records from Monroe Co., NY on this site.
- Life Records. Search recent vital records from Rochester newspapers.
- County Records, Monroe County, New York from Linda H. Gutiérrez
- Index to Marriages in Rochester; 1876 - 1943
- Brockport Marriages appearing in the Brockport Republic newspaper from 1856-1917. Indexed by Arnold Schockow. (PDF file)
- Brockport Marriages appearing in Brockport newspapers from 1925-1953. Indexed by Donald P. Specht. (PDF file)
- Brockport Deaths appearing in the Brockport Republic newspaper from 1856-1925. Indexed by Arnold Schockow. (PDF file)
- Brockport Deaths appearing in Brockport newspapers from 1925-1953. Indexed by Donald P. Specht. (PDF file)
- Purchase a copy of a Monroe County Will (1821 - 1904) from Sampubco for a reasonable cost.
- Marriages extracted from the 1865 NY State Census of Rochester, NY.
- Marriages extracted from the 1865 NY State Census for the rest of Monroe County.
- Deaths extracted from the 1865 NY State Census of Rochester, NT.
- Deaths extracted from the 1865 NY Census for the rest of Monroe County.
- Deaths extracted from the 1875 NY State Census for the Towns of Monroe County.
- Marriages extracted from the 1875 NY State Census of Monroe County.
- Religious Records
- Religious Congregations of Rochester, NY formed before 1900.
- Rochester Genealogical Society's Collection of Church Records.
- Rochester Churches Indexing Project. An on going project to index area church records.
- Early Religious records of Monroe County in a collection at Cornell University.
- Rochester Catholic Diocese.
- Presbytery of Genesee Valley; ie. Presbyterian Churches of this region.
- Records of the Brick Presbyterian Church (now Downtown United Pres. Church, Rochester.
- Census Records
- 1790 Census for Ontario Co., NY (which includes most of western NY).
- Six index pages of the 1830 Census on the Vital Record Page.
- Index of 1892 Census of Ogden, NY. Indexed by Donald Specht. (PDF file)
- Heritage Quest has census records but not a complete set. (This links to the HQ webpage at Rochester Public Library. - To find if available from your local library go to Dick Eastman's HQ list.)
- Cemeteries of Monroe Co., NY and links to many cemetery records.
- Pictures of Monroe County tombstones from New York Gravestones.
- Riverside and Mt. Hope Cemeteries.
- Searchable records for Mt. Hope and Riverside Cemeteries.
- Friends of Mt. Hope Cemetery. A group that helps preserve Rochester's large public cemetery.
- Holy Sepulchre Cemetery. Over 200,000 burials of Catholics from Monroe County from 1871 to the present.
- Burials in Garland Cemetery, Clarkson, NY by Donald Specht. (PDF file)
- People buried in Ogden, NY cemeteries by Donald Specht. (PDF file)
- Parma Union Cemetery. Names from the official burial records.
- Search the burial records of Creekside Cemetery and last few years of burials in St. Vincent De Paul's Roman Catholic Church Cemetery in Churchville, NY.
- Webster Union Cemetery.
- Newspapers - old and current
- Newspapers of Monroe County including information on obtaining them through Inter-Library Loan.
- Fulton History has Rochester newspapers; 1825 - 1849 and 1862 - 1948 and also some suburban newspapers.
- Rochester Newspaper Index; 1818 - 1897.
- Monroe County Newspaper Abstracts from 1818 - 1947.
- Rochester Democrat & Chronicle
- Current obits. Also search obits for the past few months.
- Recent weddings, engagements, marriage licenses and anniversaries.
- The Catholic Courier.
- West Side News - death notices Nov. 2000 - present and marriages Nov. 2000 - Nov. 2007.
- Obits from the Messenger Post suburban newspapers.
- Pictures and postcards
- Rochester Images from the Rochester Public Library, Rochester Museum & Science Center, and Rochester Municipal Archives. (over 3000 images)
- Pictures of Rochester and Monroe County. Postcards and pictures of points of interest in Monroe County, NY.
- Stories with lots of pictures. This page includes: George B. Selden, Gearless Auto, Rochester Subway (by Lloyd Klos) and Short History of the Fast Ferry.
- Local Military Regiments and Patriotic Organizations
- Rochester Chapter of The Empire State Society, Sons of the American Revolution. They also are beginning to post pictures of the graves of Revolutionary War Veterans.
- Irondequoit Chapter - DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) is a patriotic organization for ladies with Revolutionary War ancestors. The site also has a list of this chapter's Rev. War ancestors.
- A roster of the men of the 140th NY Volunteers from the Civil War. This Regiment mostly came from Monroe County.
- Co. A, 8th NY Cavalry roster from the Civil War.
- Civil War Roster for all of Monroe County extracted by Linda H. Gutiérrez from the 1872 History of Monroe Co.
- World War II Masterfile (from RPL).
- World War II and Korean War Casualties.
- Monroe Co. military deaths during WWII
- Monroe Co. Casualties in the Korean War.
- Monroe Co. Casualties in the Vietnam War.
- Greater Rochester Vietnam Veterans Memorial of Greater Rochester.
- Military History Society of Rochester
- New York in the Revolution. During the Revolutionary War this area was still wilderness but many Rev. War veterans later moved to this area.
- On-line books
- On-line Books page on this website.
- Gazetteer and Business Directory of Monroe Co., NY for 1869-70 by Hamilton Child from the Making of America Collection at Cornell University.
- History of the Pioneer Settlement of Phelps and Gorham's Purchase and Morris Reserve... (1851) by Orasmus Turner; from the Making of America Collection at Cornell University.
- Rochester City Directories.
- Irondequoit Story (1957) by Maude I. West (text only).
Maps. You may have to use your "back button" to return from some of these links.
- Map page on this website.
- A page with current, highly detailed maps of Monroe County and all the Towns from Monroe County.
- 1895 map of Monroe County.
- Rochester in 1827.
- Digital Map Collection at RPL.
- Map of Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
- Map of Mt. Hope Cemetery.
- Riverside Cemetery.
- Other cemetery maps on the Cemetery Page.
- Rochester Neighborhood Associations.
- Maplewood Neighborhood Association.
- Swillburg Neighborhood.
- Highland Park Neighborhood Association.
- Browncroft Neighborhood Association.
- MarketView Heights Association.
- Upper Monroe Neighborhood Association.
- South West Area Neighborhood Association.
- Corn Hill Neighbors Association.
- 19th Ward Community Association, Inc..
- Charlotte Community Association.
- Town Histories and Historical Societies
- Historic Brighton, NY.
- History of the Village of Brockport.
- Brockport Community Museum. A museum without walls.
- History of the Village of Churchville.
- Clarkson Historical Society.
- Highlights of Clarkson History.
- History of East Rochester.
- Gates Historical Society.
- Greece Historical Society & Museum.
- A Brief History of Hamlin.
- Henrietta Historical Society.
- Irondequoit Historical Society.
- History of Mendon.
- History of Parma, NY.
- Penfield Local History Room.
- A Brief History of Perinton, NY.
- Perinton Historical Society.
- Pittsford ... A Community Rich in History.
- History of the Town of Sweden.
- Town of Wheatland: A Brief History.
- Rochester area museums
- George Eastman House and International Museum of Photography and Film.
- Susan B. Anthony House.
- New York Museum of Transportation.
- The Rochester and Genesee Valley Railroad Museum.
- Genesee Country Village and Museum.
- National Museum of Play. (AKA The Strong).
- Antique Wireless Association - radio museum in Bloomfield, NY.
- Ganondagan State Historic Site. Former site of a Seneca Indian village.
- Rochester Museum & Science Center.
- Granger Homestead and Carriage Museum in Canandaigua.
- Rochester Medical Meseum and Archives.
- Landmark Society of Western New York.
- Charlotte Lighthouse.
- Historic Highway Markers of Monroe County.
- Genealogical Resources in Monroe County and places to write for more genealogical information.
- Known Descendants of Nathaniel Rochester.
- Documents relating to Nathaniel Rochester - Sheriff of Washington County, Maryland; 1804 - 1806.
- Information on NYMONROE-L, the Monroe Co. mail list and how to subscribe. Hosted by RootsWeb.
- Monroe County Message Board on RootsWeb (includes over 17,000 messages back to 1996.) (You need to subscribe to post a message.)
- Monroe County NYGenWeb Archives.
- Monroe Co. Off -Line Sources.
- Rochester History - A journal that covers the history of Rochester and western New York. All articles, from 1939 to the present, are available online.
- Rochester Regional Library Council: Directory of Regional Libraries - Addresses and links for libraries and archives.
- Rochester Wiki; the encyclopedia of Rochester information.
- Rochester Subway blog.
- Historical Records of Ontario Co., NY from the Ontario Co. Archives.
- Ontario County Historical Society.
- Rochester- City Hall. Official pages for the City of Rochester; with these pages of interest:
- Historic Rochester
- Historic Village Trustees (1817 - 1834) and City Council Proceedings (1834 - 1900).
- Records Management Bureau - the Rochester City archives.
- A Guide to Mt. Hope Cemetery.
- Walking Tour of High Falls and Brown's Race Historic District.
- Existing Railroad Stations. Monroe County page with links to photos. (Click on little red building for photos.)
- Rochester and Eastern Rapid Railway.
- Western New York Suffragists - Winning the Vote.
- A list of genealogical links from the Rochester Public Library.
- Main page of Rush-Rhees Library at the University of Rochester. They do have some genealogy and a lot of historical sources. They are also open real late during the school year.
- The Department of Rare Books and Special Collections at the University of Rochester.
- Lewis Henry Morgan Chapter of the NY State Archaeology Association.
New York State links
General genealogy links
- A site map of this website. That is, it is a listing of all the pages on the website.
On-line Library Catalogs
Go to Rochester Genealogical Society homepage
Go to Monroe
County GenWeb page.
Created on 24 April 1996
Moved to RootsWeb on 18 Nov. 2000
Moved to mcnygenealogy.com on 26 March 2008
18 Dec. 2013
© 2006 - 2013 Richard T. Halsey